Cattle are usually very peaceful animals and move away when they feel they are in danger. They only show more aggressive behaviour when they feel they have no other option or want to defend something, especially their calf. Be advised while hiking with dogs, cattle may get alarmed. Please pay special attention when bulls are nearby, they also want to protect their herd and therefore can sometimes react in a more aggressive manner.
- Keep a safe distance to the herd
- Do not stroke, feed, or come too close to calves
- Do not hike through the middle of a herd
- Avoid noise and hectic movements
- Always close the pasture gates